Oh, how convenient! – Owl
Firefighters are currently attending a huge fire in Sidmouth in Devon this morning (Thursday, March 30). The blaze has broken out at a derelict building on Knowle Drive, Sidmouth and residents in the area have been told to close all their windows due to a large amount of smoke.
Zhara Simpson www.devonlive.com
Crews from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue attended the fire at around 4:11am on Thursday, and have reported the incident is currently ongoing. A photo from the scene, shared on Twitter, shows huge flames coming from the building, along with big plumes of smoke.
The fire service also advised people to ‘avoid the area’ this morning following the fire. In a statement on the website, it added that the fire is at the former East Devon District Council offices and that when crews arrived at the scene, the building was ‘well alight.’
The force’s statement says: “Fire Control received a call to reports of smoke in the area along with a small glow in the area of the above property. Control immediately mobilised 1 Fire Appliance from Sidmouth to investigate.
“Once on scene crews confirmed a fire involving the former council offices in Knowle well alight and made up for 6 Pumping Appliances and 1 Aerial Ladder Platform. Crews are at work tackling the fire and we currently have 8 Fire Appliances 2 Aerial Ladder Platforms 1 Water Bowser Supporting Appliances and Supporting Officers.”
At 6:50am on Thursday, it added: “Currently on scene we have 8 Fire Appliances, 2 Aerial Ladder Platforms, 2 Water Bowsers, An Environmental Protection Unit, A Crew Welfare Unit, High Volume Pump Module, and supporting officers. At this time crews are at work tackling a fire within a disused building that consists of several linked buildings where approximately 1/3 of the building is involved in fire, this incident has been sectorised and crews are actively firefighting currently.
“We ask at this time for all residents to keep windows and doors closed and to avoid the local area, we expect the local water supply to be disrupted. This incident is ongoing at this time and will be updated in due course.”
Had they removed all of this from the building? https://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/news/20445722.appeal-issued-former-east-devon-council-ceo-dies-asbestos-related-cancer/