Skypark choice ..another costly error by EDDC?

Today’s press release from EDDC announces last night’s Cabinet decision to select Skypark as their choice for a new HQ. No financial details are given.

This is in clear defiance of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee’s vote last week that Councillors should be properly informed about the cost calculations, based on real concerns that a move is neither financially viable nor necessary.
The O&S recommendation that an independent survey of Knowle buildings, particularly the 1970s offices, has also presumably been ignored.

This undemocratic decision completely ignores staff wishes,too, according to EDDC’s own survey: see http://sidmouthindependentnews.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/astounding-figures-re-knowle-relocation/

For text of EDDC’s press release, go to http://sidmouthindependentnews.wordpress.com/2014/02/06/eddc-to-sell-family-silver-to-move-to-skypark-how-will-you-get-there/

“The beneficial effect of heavy rainfall….

…is that more people work from home”, says Wainhomes’ spokesman . For the context of this topical quote, go to Feniton Councillor, Susie Bond’s blog : http://susiebond.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/groundhog-day-in-room-101-super-inquiry-day-10/

How Cranbrook puts strain on the area’s health services.

The Express and Echo explains this increasing problem, with reference to the current situation at Pinhoe and Broadclyst. See http://sidmouthindependentnews.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/putting-the-housing-cart-in-front-of-the-health-horse-in-east-devon/

Environment Agency’s flood funding reduced by one fifth

Extracts from Environment Agency report point to more havoc ahead, not least in the South West:

Costs are set to double but funding has already been reduced.

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1048996/agencys-flood-funding-reduced-one-fifth

14 Jan 11
The Environment Agency’s overall budget is to be reduced from £829 million in the current financial year, to £708 million in 2011/12, falling to £652 million in 2014/15. Within this, DEFRA has decided that the agency’s budget for flood management will fall from £629 million in 2010/11 to £485 million in 2014/15 – a reduction of nearly 23 per cent.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/research/library/publications/108673.aspx

What does our long-term investment strategy tell us?

It sets out the best available evidence on the choices the people of England face about how much money should be invested in managing the increasing risk of flooding and coastal erosion due to climate change and asset deterioration over the next 25 years (2010-2035).

Our modelling shows that investment in building and maintaining of flood defences will need to almost double to £1billion a year (compared to £570million now) by 2035. This figure excludes the cost of managing the risk of surface and ground water flooding and other activities such as flood warning and development control.’

‘Green Wedge success was not down to District Council’

A letter published today in Pullman’s View from Seaton,explains why:

‘It’s often said that journalism is the first draft of history.I’m hoping that your letters page will act as the second draft because I nearly choked on my porridge reading Councillor Helen Parr proclaiming her latest success in a planning matter… “to protect the landscape of East Devon against the wrong kind of development” (Pulman’s View From Colyton, January 28th).
The fact is that, in the months leading up to her planning committee’s decision on the green wedge development application between Colyford and Seaton, both Councillor Parr and her colleague Councillor Godbeer were making worrying noises about how “economic” arguments
might trump the green wedge preservation policy.
The View’s own correspondent wrote an accurate report of a meeting in Colyford, when a hall full of locals realised that they could not rely on their elected representatives to protect this site, and that they would need to go down with placards to the planning meeting. The attention generated by this put the application in the full media spotlight, as it deserved. I spoke at that meeting, and had dug out Councillor Parr and Councillor Godbeer’s manifesto for the last election, in which their number one promise was to protect the green wedge. I copied that promise to all members of the planning committee the weekend before and, together with 10 other technically-excellent speeches from the public, that left the committee no option in front of 100 or so people than to vote against. Councillor Parr, to
everyone’s mystification, and at our hour of need, abstained.
Howard and Anne West, and Robin and Bonte Pocock, then led a brilliant, selfless campaign to ensure our community was independently represented at the developer’s appeal, where it emerged that East Devon planning officers had not commissioned the requisite bat surveys prior to determination. This nearly fatally weakened one of East Devon’s strongest suits, but fortunately the inspector judged that the green wedge factor the campaigners had stressed would win the day.
The question for Councillor Parr is why, when Exeter had its Local Plan discussed four years ago and published two years ago, East Devon failed to do this. This failure of her allies on her watch left East Devon vulnerable to just such proposals for over-development as long as no plan is in place. This threat remains.

The credit for saving one of the most beautiful parts of the Axe Valley does not lie with her or her council, but with a model campaign by local people which, for the record, cost a number of locals rather a lot of money which she will, presumably, not be rebating from our
council tax. And her council’s actual reaction? A campaign to restrict public speaking rights in future!’

PAUL ARNOTT,
Colyton

PLEA FROM DOCTORS: EAST DEVON’S POPULATION EXPLOSION IS ‘CRIPPLING US.’

At last night’s Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting EDDC heard a desperate plea from the local health authority requesting an opportunity to speak to planning officers regarding East Devon’s unsustainable population rise. GP services across the region are already stretched to breaking point. They indicate a clear disconnect between the number of planning approvals and the region’s ability to sustain them.

Tamara Powderly of the NHS Commissioning Board (Eastern) stated ‘If you could just give our doctors the opportunity to talk to you and let the planning officers know their thoughts, we would make the time. It is this demography that is crippling us in the quality of services that our patients need.’

Councillor Mike Allen (Cons, Honiton) noted that East Devon’s new town, Cranbrook,already has 1200 inhabitants and this time next year it will be 2500. The fact that Cranbrook’s ultimate total is supposed to be 8000 seems to be a disaster waiting to happen.

It points to a painful lack of genuine localism from central government who continue pressuring District Authorities to approve more home-building right across England – which for its size is already Europe’s most densely populated nation.