“An NHS worker living in Cranbrook has spoke of her shock at finding her garden path replaced with a deep trench – and has fumed that the contractor hasn’t even had the decency to erect safety barriers.
Julia, 28, who is also studying physiotherapy at Plymouth University, said the mess left by workers ‘space for a coffin’ after they removed the slate pathway to the front door of her privately-owned home at Stone Barton yesterday.
She claims there had been no letter drop by homes builder Taylor Wimpey to warn locals about the incredibly intrusive and disruptive works.
All the pathways in her road are missing, and she is worried it could lead to a life-changing injury for some of her elderly neighbours.
She said: “I turned up home in the afternoon and they were just gone.
“Apparently they are now going to tarmac it as it’s easier to maintain.
“They have left huge trip hazard with uneven surface and gap 11 cm long in our only entrance to the house! No barriers, no warning signs.
“It is so inconsiderate. They didn’t send us a letter about it, they just did it.
“What if somebody on crutches or in a wheelchair has to leave their house?
“I work in a hospital with elderly patients with broken hips, many don’t make their way though it.
“It is so serious.”
Council contractors have returned today and are digging even more holes in the street.
The section of the pathway removed is maintained by Taylor Wimpey, and it is part of a series of scheduled works in the area.
She has tried ringing the relevant authorities to find out how long the works will last but has not yet been able to get through to anyone who can help.
A Taylor Wimpey spokesperson said: “We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers at our Cranbrook development while we carry out works to footpaths outside their homes.
“The health and safety of our customers is our priority and, following the concerns raised by residents, our construction manager has visited the working area and confirmed that it has been left safe ahead of the weekend.
“Our sub-contracted groundworker wrote to all affected customers to notify them of this work on 18th September 2018. The work is due to be completed on Monday 1st October.”