Click here for summary: http://sidmouthindependentnews.wordpress.com/2014/01/18/tales-from-our-villages-talaton/
23 Oct Full Council meeting:
- R Thurlow asked for a public apology from Chairman re charges made in Diviani email – told he’d receive a written reply
- M Temple asked why EDDC was destroying heritage blg, community asset with gardens being spoilt – received no reply
- B Sangster asked about effect of £4.8 million loan for relocation – no reply. Later some Cllrs claimed they knew nothing about the possible loan which is in Cohen’s July report to cabinet.
- Cllr Twiss makes clear that jobs lost from Knowle will be found in Sid valley
30 Oct Full Council meeting:
EDA and SOS members staged a protest outside Knowle at a secret meeting to brief Cllrs about relocation, public not admitted because of “commercially sensitive” info.
Sandra and Paul attended and spoke at the DMC meeting which rubber stamped Tesco’s demand that the amount of affordable housing to be provided on the massive site next to the new superstore would not be 25% (down on the 40% normal at the time of first permission) but a mighty 0%.
The DMC covered their shame with a resolution to demand overage from Tesco, and their councillors spread word of this Pyrrhic victory far and wide. Yet the Decision Notice issued by Ed Freeman to Tesco makes no mention of overage at all. At the time of writing a number of people, including town and parish councillors, have written to him to ask him to clarify. He has not replied.
Meanwhile, some spinning is going on in the local press trying to claim that the less expensive market housing in the plan for the site announced by Tesco/Bovis a fortnight ago will be “affordable”.
FYI – the published proposal which could not afford even 1% Affordable Homes is for 222 new homes (54 x 4 beds, 111 x 3 beds, 18 x 2 flats, 35 x 2 bed houses.) And a Hotel!
The Harepath Road Green Wedge scheme refusal by EDDC (following a mass attendance by campaigners at the DMC) is being appealed, and an inspector will be holding a hearing in the coming month.
But the developers have muddied the waters by submitting a slightly amended application on the same site which comes before the DMC next Tuesday. And again the Planning Officer has recommended Approval!
Campaigners will be there in force again – still reeling from the fact that last time the only councillor to abstain rather than vote against was their own Helen Parr.
A meeting at Feniton School was held on the 4th November, jointly hosted by Feniton Parish Council and Fight for Feniton’s Future. The meeting was arranged to discuss the Super Inquiry into three developments that will swamp the village with up to 235 houses. Residents of Feniton packed the school hall: with over 180 people present, it was standing room only!
Parish Council Chair Martyn Smith explained the appeal process to residents, and said that it would be extremely hard to fight such an inquiry without legal representation. Feniton Parish Council (FPC) has applied and been successful in obtaining Rule 6 (6) status. This allows FPC to take an active part in the inquiry, i.e. being able to cross-examine the developers. Many residents were clearly angry about the way in which the village is being targeted, and rallied round and pledged more than £2000 towards the fighting fund for legal fees.
Please see full report from Cllr’s Claire Wright and Susie Bond’s Blogs
Feniton’s plight has attracted the attention of the media. BBC TV’s Inside Out filmed the meeting for a programme to be broadcast very early in the New Year. Earlier that day BBC TV’s Spotlight also visited Feniton to film and interview a number of villagers angry at the threat facing their community.
The Super Inquiry will be held at the Bowling Club in Feniton on January 7th 2014. It is expected to last 2 weeks. Martyn Smith and Fight for Feniton’s Future urge people to attend the Inquiry.
People can download a poster from the FFF website and display in gardens and windows. It would be great to have a display of posters throughout the village for all see. On January 11th 2014 the East Devon Alliance and Fight for Feniton’s Future intend to arrange a march through Feniton so please keep this date free!