“NHS protest march to be held in Exeter City Centre”

Organisers say everyone concerned about their health service across Devon is welcome

Hundreds are expected to join a protest march through Exeter city centre to protest at hospital closures across the county.

The Save Our Hospitals Campaign is holding a march in the city on Saturday February 3 which is open to anyone who has concerns about the reorganisation taking place across Devon where four hospitals have already closed while beds have been closed at several more.

Spokesman for the group Mike Dallimore from Brixham where the minor injuries unit has been closed, cited the closure of hospitals at Dartmouth, Bovey Tracey and Ashburton and beds at Paignton Hospital.

He said the group feared Devon would ultimately be left with only two hospitals in Plymouth and Exeter.

It comes as Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson was understood to be pushing for an extra £100m a week for th NHS in England after Brexit.

The group organised a protest march in Totnes last month which hit the headlines when a mock coffin was left outside the office of Totnes MP Sarah Wollaston covered in posters saying ‘cuts cost lives’ with the figure 120,000 ‘ unnecessary’ deaths.

The protest will start at Bedford Square in Exeter at 11am and possibly march through the city centre, said Mr Dallimore.”

http://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/nhs-protest-march-held-exeter-1104504