“The campaign to safeguard healthcare provision across the Axe Valley has taken a step forward with the launch of a new website.
Progress on Seaton Area Health Matters’ action plan to maintain and improve medical services in the area can now be followed at
where residents can also express their views.
The group has identified a list of priorities to safeguard healthcare provision across the local area. A ten point plan was
agreed following a series of meetings between representatives from statutory and voluntary health groups along with local councillors.
* Taking an area approach for the Axe Valley, not just Seaton.
* Improving communication and co-ordination between voluntary organisations.
* Maintaining and extending NHS services in GP practices and at Seaton Hospital.
* Meeting the challenges in older age groups – addressing chronic diseases, loneliness and isolation.
* Meeting the challenges in younger age groups – drug and alcohol addiction, housing, poverty.
* Providing mental health support.
* Tackling transport difficulties to access services.
* Promoting health and wellbeing.
* Communicating what is available.
* Dealing with co-ordination and ownership to tackle the challenges.
Steering group chairman, former Seaton Town Mayor Cllr Jack Rowland said the new website would help them to keep people informed and also receive their input.
He told The Midweek Herald: “Broadly the challenges involve trying to establish a health hub to extend the number of clinics and services at the Seaton Community Hospital site and co-ordinating the information to show the range of voluntary groups involved in providing health and wellbeing support in the area.
“We welcome input on these important issues and the website enables this to happen.”
* The new website will also post news about its discussions with the Royal Devon and Exeter Trust and the Clinical Commissioning Group as well as news from council meetings at town, district and county level.”