[Mr Venner – Conservative candidate – appears to say in a comment on a previous post that he was not invited. He might want to take this up with his agent or constituency office as there may be some crossed wires there somewhere]
“The hustings in Sidmouth went well last night:
Futures Forum: Sidmouth Town and District council elections > HUSTINGS event > political speed dating
To quote a commentator:
“I thought it was a good convivial event which achieved its purpose for voters who attended. It was good to see the candidates being engaged and convivial with each other, and all in all I think the event was worthwhile, contributing to an awareness of the upcoming elections and the importance of voting.”
There is further lively comment happening on the East Devon Watch blog:
Tories no-show at Sidmouth hustings last night | East Devon Watch
The organisers of the event were at pains to contact all the candidates.
- All current Councillors who are standing in contested wards were contacted.
- However some of the other candidates did not have email addresses readily available.
- The following agents, political parties and representative groups were contacted with the request that the invitation to the hustings be passed on:
- Devon UKIP: local agent
- East Devon Conservative Party: email@example.com
- East Devon Labour Party: local agent
- East Devon Liberal Democrats: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Independent East Devon Alliance: email@example.com
- Sid Valley Democracy: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Otherwise, letters of invitation were sent to those with no such contact address or party/group affiliation.
- The following candidates sent in their apologies:
- Stuart Hughes (District Conservative; Town Independent)
- Ian McKenzie Edwards (Town)
- Louise Thompson (Town Independent)
- Jenny Ware (District Conservative; Town Independent)
- Otherwise, several candidates did not attend or send in apologies, despite their agents, political parties and representative groups being contacted.
Here is more information about the candidates:
Futures Forum: Sidmouth Town and District council elections > HUSTINGS event > Tuesday 30th April > candidates’ manifestos
Finally, it was noted that several members of the public popped into the Hall to ‘have a look’ but did not want to venture in – feeling either that ‘there was no point in voting’ or that ‘all politicians are corrupt/useless/a waste of time’…
Let’s hope that voters do nevertheless turn up tomorrow on voting day.”