Letter in Exmouth Journal:
“There is very important meeting at the Town Hall on Tuesday 6th March at 10 am.
The future of Queens Drive is at stake. Do not be deceived by the description that the planning application is for 12 months only and is “temporary”.
Our Town Council has been bullied and harassed by EDDC paid officials and members of the Regeneration team to try and force this through using the threat of dereliction if they don’t get their way.
This plan reduces the play and recreation of this area to about a quarter. The bulk of the site is to be cheap food outlets and a big screen and spurious as yet unnamed and untested events. To this end to also force the issue EDDC has signed a contract for some play equipment and hired an events manager without consulting our elected representatives.
This area up to now has been protected by the Masterplan for Play and Recreation. Even in the wonderful, could now say fantastical, plans in Reserved Matters last year there is a huge area put aside for water play and other recreational activities. All this can now be lost forever if this so called “temporary attractions“ application goes through in its current form.
If you care about our Seafront, send someone to this meeting. We must stand up to bullying. We must stand up for democracy and above all we must continue to stand up for our lovely Seafront.
Sally Galsworthy, Exmouth”
How many times is this? Four, five …? More? It will certainly be more difficult to sell now the centre-sited Premier Inn is up and running as from tomorrow.
“… The site is overgrown and presents certain hazards associated with derelict buildings. Accordingly, all viewers are strongly advised
to wear appropriate footwear and clothing. All viewers enter the site at their own risk. The vendors, and their agents, cannot accept
any responsibility or liability for any injury or damage caused.
There will be three scheduled viewing events:
Friday 9th February
Tuesday 13th February
Thursday 22nd February
Appointments to view must be pre-arranged
and confirmed with either of the joint agents.
Method of Sale
For sale by informal tender with all bids to be received no later than 12pm noon on Thursday 8th March 2018.”
Particulars here (or via link above):
“THE company behind one of Torbay’s best-known hotels has gone into administration. But company boss Keith Richardson said all the hotels remained open and it was ‘business as usual’. …
… The companies operate a collection of five hotels including the Grand Hotel in Torquay, The Royal Beacon Hotel in Exmouth, The Falmouth Hotel in Falmouth, The Fowey Hotel in Fowey and The Metropole Hotel in Padstow.
All have either three or four stars and are notable for their prominent seaside locations, period architecture and award-winning dining.
All five hotels will continue to trade on a business as usual basis while the administrators assess the current financial position and available options. …”
“The holiday park, at Sandy Bay, is holding an open day on Saturday, January 20, from 10am until 3pm, where applications will be accepted for more than 400 vacancies.
Pat Titley, talent manager at the holiday park, said staff training starts at the end of January in readiness for March 1 and the new holiday season.
Allen Main, Devon Cliffs Holiday Park assistant general manager, said last year more than 23,000 families holidayed at the attraction. …”
Said to be a “thank you” for lottery funding.
But funding was from previous players, not current ones.
However, it will boost attendance figures for 2017 …
OUR money. To be spent on tourism in Northern Ireland and cushioning them from Brexit problems.
The first tranche of £1 billion earlier this year allowed Northern Ireland to increase its NHS spending by more than 5%.
“Theresa May has started to work on a new deal worth hundreds of millions of pounds with the Democratic Unionist Party to stop her Government collapsing in just over 18 months’ time.
Mrs May’s Government will set out plans to cut Air Passenger Duty and VAT on hotels and restaurants in Northern Ireland in the new year.
The new cash will be on top of the £1billion which Mrs May agreed to spend in Northern Ireland after the DUP’s 10 MPs agree to support her minority administration.
The Treasury has promised to publish its response to the consultation at the next Budget in Autumn next year to allow the changes to be introduced in the 2019/20 tax year.
The talks were signalled in this week’s Budget Red Book, which said: “Early in 2018, the government will publish a call for evidence which will consider the impact of VAT and APD (air passenger duty) on tourism in Northern Ireland, to report at Budget 2018.”
”A report into Britain’s seaside towns says there are still perceptions of them as old-fashioned, closed in the winter and difficult to get to.
The conclusions come from the all-party Parliamentary Group for the Visitor Economy, chaired by St Austell and Newquay Conservative MP, Steve Double.
The group has been looking at how the seaside economy could continue to thrive if and when European funding is withdrawn once the UK has left the EU.
They’ve come up with a list or recommendations which include reducing VAT on tourist accommodation and attractions to 5%, introducing more frequent bus services, and reducing the aggressive behaviour of seagulls in some resorts which have been putting visitors off.
Mr Double said the British coastline was a national asset with great potential and which, with the right investment, could drive regeneration, economic growth and job creation.”