We’ve had further feedback from today’s election of East Devon District Councillors, when Independents gained considerable ground. Here are some highlights:
– The voters’ favourite was Roger Giles, the seasoned Independent Councillor for Ottery St Mary Town Ward, with 2087 votes.
– Paul Diviani, Leader of the Council) retained his seat at Yarty. He received 776 votes. But votes against him totalled 795.
– Cabinet member, Ray Bloxham (525 votes) lost in Raleigh Ward to IEDA candidate, Geoff Jung (950 votes).
– IEDA Leader, Ben Ingham successfully held Woodbury & Lympstone, where he and IEDA colleague, Rob Longhurst, defeated David Atkins (Con).
– The most significant cull of Tory Councillors was in Sidmouth, with Independents now in control:
There was a surprise defeat for Graham Troman, who ironically has often stood up alone for Sidmouth, without the backing of the other local councillors.
Stuart Hughes is the sole remaining Conservative, sharing Sidmouth-Sidford with Dawn Manley and Marianne Rixson, both IEDA.
Sidmouth Town Ward is in the hands of Cathy Gardner (IEDA), Matt Booth(IEDA) and John Dyson (Independent).
The Sidmouth Herald reporters were quick to pick this up: http://www.sidmouthherald.co.uk/news/election/eddc_independents_oust_tories_in_sidmouth_town_1_4066681
For complete election result information, go to http://eastdevon.gov.uk/elections-and-registering-to-vote/elections-2015/2015-district-council-elections-results/
“Yesterday Sid Valley was represented at EDDC by 7 Conservative couoncillors. Today by just one, with six Independents! The three Sidmouth Town Independents gathered 71% of the votes cast in the ward. The former Vice Chairman of the Council was ousted from Sidford Rural.
If only the incumbents had taken the opportunity last December to vote for delay until after the election before pressing on with relocation and been seen to be speaking up for their electors.”
Bloxham (Conservative, Raleigh) out, Jung (Independent) IN
Drew (Conservative, Sidmouth Rural) OUT, Barratt (Independent) IN
oh yes, good news indeed!
3 Conservatives elected in Budleigh – sorry Ms Mantell! Not good news.
Steve Gazzard re-elected in Exmouth (Lib Dem) – well done Steve!
Hugo Swire (Con) has today been re-elected to represent East Devon in Parliament……so we’ll see how well he does that.
Claire Wright, his closest rival, made an impressive bid to replace him as our MP, and is widely praised for her well run campaign. Claire was elected to Devon County Council in May 2013, with 2970 votes (a 74 per cent share)…….and yesterday her vote soared to 13,000. Not enough to beat Hugo this time, but given the national mood right now, a very solid support base to build on. Read Claire’s own take on election night, and on the outcome, on her blog http://www.claire-wright.org.
6 am and not a single Devon seat declared. Have our Returning Officers been paid too much for too little?